|Site Type:||Macro and Mega fauna site: coral reefs and flat sandy bottom|
|Depth:||Top: 5MMedian: 16MBottom: 18M|
|Location:||In the easily accessible north of the National Park at Siaba Island|
The Siaba Besar dive site, is not surprisingly, at the island of Siaba, again in the north of the Komodo National Park. This is a dive site you can dive more than once, as it has two quite different parts: a sandy bottom and a large staghorn and coral reef.
It should also be known as ‘Turtle City’ as we encounter half a dozen turtles, that we weren’t specifically looking for. The first ‘Welcome Turtle’ was sitting on the sand just waiting for us. We took about 10 minutes for everyone to get their picture with her. She didn’t budge.
The other turtles we encountered were all tucked into the reef – presumably so they could get some rest without floating away.
Not one of the turtles budged – no matter how close we got for pictures. We did not, of course touch any of the turtles – that may have produced a different result.
All their shells were pretty barnacle and algae free so there was no need to give them a good old scratching.
Also amongst the staghorn was the occasional anemone, and a few swarms of sergeants or other small fish.
I’m always amazed how turtles can rest on coral without damaging any, in precisely the same way as a diver can’t.
Our other dive group had headed out onto the sand to find some critters. Amongst the most easily spotted were the painted frogfish, that would be hiding amongst any cover that was out there on the sand.
Whereas this common lionfish was just cruising around, looking for any that weren’t hiding amongst any cover that was out there.
Just before we decided to head back up, after a nice long dive – it’s pretty shallow afterall so plan for one, was turtle number six – our ‘Farewell Turtle’ just making sure we all made it out safely.
- Adelaar Cruise from Bali to Komodo
- Ambai – Raja Ampat, Triton Bay, Banda Sea
- Amira – Raja Ampat, Komodo, Gorontalo
- Aurora – Komodo, Alor, Raja Ampat, Banda Sea
- Blue Manta, Komodo, Raja Ampat, Banda Sea
- Calico Jack Liveaboard Raja Ampat
- Damai Liveaboard, (Damai I), Raja Ampat, Komodo, Ambon
- Dewi Nusantara – Raja Ampat
- Emperor Raja Laut – Raja Ampat, Komodo, Ambon
- Indo Aggressor – Komodo, Forgotten Islands
- S/Y Indo Siren Raja Ampat, Komodo
- Komodo Resort Diving Club Sebayur Island Komodo
- La Galigo Raja Ampat, Komodo
- Mermaid 1 Liveaboard Bali-Komodo and Raja Ampat
- Mermaid 2 Liveaboard Komodo and Raja Ampat
- Nusa Tara liveaboard – Komodo
- Ondina Liveaboard, Alor, Flores, Raja Ampat
- Pindito Liveaboard, Komodo and Raja Ampat
- Putri Papua Liveaboard, Raja Ampat and Komodo
- Raja Ampat Aggressor: Raja Ampat, Banda Sea and Derawan Islands
- Seven Seas Liveaboard, Komodo, Raja Ampat, Banda Sea
- Tarata Liveaboard – Komodo