Even if you think you’re covered by ordinary insurance – especially if it’s included with your credit card – here is a quick checklist of things to look out for.
- Are there any age restrictions?
- Does it need to be ‘activated’ prior to travel?
- What is the scope of items covered?
- Are there any exclusions for scuba diving eg, depth or type of diving?
- Which components need to be paid for by credit card to gain coverage?
- Are additional travellers covered by payments on your card?
- Is there any excess and is it reasonable?
- Do they provide emergency contacts numbers?
- Do you need to carry a copy of the policy with you?
- Who is going to assist you in the event of a claim?
As with any insurance, there is no point trying to cut corners. Either you are properly insured or you are not. There are two products which we know are trusted by divers and we can recommend them. However, everyone’s circumstances are different and we encourage you to do your own research.
For Australian residents only, nib travel offer a Comprehensive Plan that can offer cover if you get sick or injured while overseas, or if you’re out of pocket because your plans get cancelled unexpectedly.
The nib Comprehensive Plan can offer cover for:
- Overseas emergency medical expenses
- Medical evacuation or repatriation
- Trip cancellation or delay
- Accidentally lost or stolen luggage
- Rental vehicle insurance excess
- Over 40 existing medical conditions*
- And most importantly: Scuba diving when travellers hold an open water diving licence or are diving under licensed instruction.
^ Cover is subject to the policy terms, condition, limitations and exclusions set out in the Product Disclosure Statement.
*To have automatic cover for an existing medical condition, you must meet the criteria listed for that condition as outlined in the Product Disclosure Statement.
You can get yourself a Quote (and a policy) here.
Diveplanit Travel Pty Ltd, ABN 91 622 896 799 is a distributor of nib Travel Services (Australia) Pty Ltd (nib), ABN 81 115 932 173, AFSL 308461 and receives a commission for nib products purchased through Diveplanit Travel. Diveplanit Travel acts as an agent for nib and not as your agent. Diveplanit Travel cannot give advice about nib products, and any factual information provided is not intended to imply a recommendation or opinion about nib products. Before you buy, please read the Product Disclosure Statement, Financial Services Guide and Target Market Determination (TMD) available from us. If you have a complaint about a nib product, see the Product Disclosure Statement for the complaints process. This insurance is underwritten by Pacific International Insurance Pty Ltd, ABN 83 169 311 193.
Divers Alert Network – DAN World
Membership of DAN (Divers Alert Network) is highly recommended for travelling divers. As well as providing on-the-scene advice and medical evacuation cover for overseas trips, they provide on-going medical assistance on returning home. Incidents which involve Decompression Illness can be very complicated and require on-going treatment for months after the incident.
Expert diving doctors are just a phone call away and available 24×7.
DAN TravelAssist® Benefits
- 24-hour, 7-day-a-week Medical Assistance in the event of a diving accident or illness
- Emergency Evacuation to an appropriate medical facility for both diving and non-diving accidents, repatriation for additional care, and local burial/repatriation of remains (see benefit schedule for limits)
- A range of Travel Assistance benefits, including Emergency Return Home due to a family death; Visit of a Family Member, Friend, or Traveling Companion; and Return of Dependent Children or Traveling Companion
- Other services, including Medical Information, Legal Assistance, Personal Assistance, Travel Arrangements, and much more
Access to optional DAN Dive Injury (Treatment) Insurance
- At the time of joining DAN, choose the treatment plan that best meets your needs
- Flexibility in the choice of plan for each family member; if electing to take out a treatment insurance plan, each diving family member can select the plan that best matches their individual needs
Annual Member Benefits
- Health & Diving Online Library
- Alert Diver Monthly: A digital publication that features dive destinations, safety topics, marine life, underwater photography, and more.
DiveAssure – Dive Insurance, Travel Insurance or Both
DiveAssure’s annual and short-term DiveSafe plans offer coverage for medical expenses, emergency medical evacuations, hyperbaric treatments and more. Medical coverage is unlimited and your policy will pay directly to hyperbaric chambers and other medical facilities around the world, saving you the need to pay a large amount out of pocket. The Duke Dive Medicine center – a leading team of dedicated hyperbaric medicine experts will monitor your evacuation and provide supervision and consultation services to assure that you receive the suitable and most professional treatment. DiveAssure also offers a 10% discount to families.
DiveAssure’s Dive&Travel plans include travel insurance on top of diving insurance.
If you need both Dive and Travel Insurance, DiveAssure offers 2 dive and travel plans that provide comprehensive general travel and diving accident insurance. In addition, both plans include many benefits specific to diving such as coverage for lost diving days and trip cancellation due to inclement weather. The Dive&Travel Plus also offers comprehensive coverage designed specifically for liveaboard trips. This plan, as opposed to a general travel insurance program, will cover your trip expenses if you missed the departure of your liveaboard because your flight was delayed, or if you have to cancel your trip as you are medically unable to dive, yet in good health otherwise.
Revised: Dec 2023