|Site Type:||Volcanic pinnacle island with massive diversity from pelagics to nudis|
|Depth:||Top: 5MMedian: 17MBottom: 30M|
|Location:||Towards the south on the eastern side of Sipadan.|
Turtle nest on Sipadan all year round, so considering there might be up to 300 turtle nests on Sipadan, it’s not surprising that you’ll see a turtle or two on each dive. At Turtle Patch though you’ll see a dozen or more, resting, taking off, and landing – so look out!
This side also slopes more gently so there are large areas of hard corals in great condition with the usual small colourful reef fish.
Branching coral with tiny blue fish
There is also lots of soft corals where a longnose Hawkfish might find himself well camouflaged.
Some of the soft formations are amazing.
And where’s there coral in good condition, you’ll find plenty of happy ref fish too.
In the nooks and crannies, there are eels and crays.
And it was at this site, that we observed what can only be called a train of Bumphead parrotfish coming thru. Like Bison, they stop for nothing.
This herd of Bumphead parrotfish are usually on the move around Sipadan and so can be encountered at a number of sites. It’s worthwhile keeping a look out up the reef slope wherever you are diving at Sipadan.
The terrain at Turtle Patch means you can done your safety stop on the reef – one last chance to grab sight of a turtle.
Other Dive Sites
- Awas Reef – Scuba Junkie House Reef, Mabul, Sabah
- Barracuda Point, Sipadan, Sabah
- Clement Reef, Pulau Gaya, Sabah
- Coral Gardens, Sipadan, Sabah
- Eel Garden, Mabul, Sabah
- Froggys Mabul, Sabah
- Kapalai House Reef, Mabul, Sabah
- Lobster Wall, Mabul, Sabah
- Panglima Reef, Mabul, Sabah
- Pyramid, Pulau Mamutik, Sabah
- Ribbon Valley, Mabul, Sabah
- Sapi Shore, Pulau Sapi, Sabah
- Seaventures House Reef, Mabul, Sabah
- Stingray City, Mabul, Sabah