SPUMS 2019 ASM – Travel Options
Official arrival and departure dates:
- Arrival: Monday 20 May 2019
- Departure: Sunday 26 May 2019
Notes on baggage and allowances:
- Checked in: 30kg from domestic origin; plus 7kg Sporting Goods (which includes Scuba Gear)
- Carry-on: 7kg
- Additional baggage can be purchased at check in for an additional cost – details here.
- Any single item of checked baggage cannot exceed 32kg.
- These allowances apply to all Pre- and Post-conference internal flights. NB: domestic flights are in small aircraft with limited carry on space.
Notes on Transfers:
- Baggage can and should be checked through from home port to Honiara.
- Airport Transfers will be included on your invoice.
- Transfers for Pre- and Post-conference packages are also included.
- On returning to Australia, you will need to collect your luggage off the international flight in Brisbane, but can be checked in for your domestic flight at Qantas desk in the Brisbane International terminal.
- A free shuttle bus between Brisbane international and domestic terminals runs every 10 minutes.
Notes on Pricing:
There is only one flight between Australia and the Solomon Islands on the days required for SPUMS 2019 ASM. The flight is operated by Solomon Airlines – so even if you book a Qantas Ticket, you will be on the same plane as other delegates. Solomon Airlines has reserved a large number of seats for delegates with a Group Fare, so that everyone pays the same fare. These fares are per person & include generous baggage allowance, the ability to check baggage through from most domestic airports and all applicable taxes. These fares will be held until 7 December 2018 – the early bird period. After that, they may vary slightly depending on when you book – due to the Qantas component which is literally a live fare over which we have no control. You will always see the exact fare on your quote.
|To / From||Economy Class Fare||Business Class Fare|
|Please use the [Enquire Now] tab to give us your exact requirements and we'll give you the best deal we can.|
Completing the Booking Request Form
Select your home airport, your check in and check out dates, and we will prepare a flight quotation. If you include the ‘5 over 7 day’ Dive Package, or a Pre- or Post-ASM dive package we will factor that in. We need your details exactly as per your passport information page to prepare international tickets.
Notes on Expiring Passports
Passports must have at least 6 months validity on arrival into the Solomon Islands. NB: If you need to renew your passport, please allow 6 weeks processing time.
Have your passport handy before you proceed to the Booking Request Form.
Other non-diving Activities on Offer during SPUMS 2019 ASM
Various half day trips will be on offer throughout the week. These can be booked directly with tour operators on arrival, though we would be grateful if you could indicate which you may be interested in on the Booking Request Form, solely for planning purposes.
- Shopping Tour: a guided shopping tour with stops including: Central Market, DJ Graphics, Betikama School and Carving Shop.
- Cultural Village Tour: a Cultural demonstration in a real Solomon Islands village.
- The Chocolate Tour: visit the one and only Solomons Chocolate Factory producing organic chocolate from locally sourced beans.
- Honiara City Tour: with stops including Honiara Central Market, the fish and vegetable market. National Parliament, Sky-line American Memorial, one of the best lookouts of Honiara, and the surrounding islands. The National Museum/Gallery and botanical gardens.
- Guadalcanal Scenic Tour: the tour of Guadalcanal Island drives past villages and great scenery and is particularly for those interested in meeting people and seeing the day to day living of Solomon Islanders.
- WW2 Historical Highlights Tour
Those interested in WWII history in the Pacific will be excited by the amount of WWII paraphernalia scattered above and below the water line. Apart from the fighter wrecks, this footage is all from around Guadalcanal.
Something else to look forward too in the Solomons is the local music and dancing. Here’s glimpse of what’s in store. (Make sure you turn the sound up!)